Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tonetto: Azzurri take the years off

Max Tonetto insists he does not feel his age despite being the third oldest player to receive a debut Italian international call.

"To go through this experience at the age of 32 is marvellous, but I still feel like I’m 20," said the Roma left-back. "I hope it can all continue like this."

If he plays against Scotland on March 28, Tonetto will be 32 years, four months and 10 days old. Only Mauro Tassotti and Leandro Remondini were older when they got their first caps.

"It is an immense joy to be here and I hope I will have the opportunity to play. I must thank coach Luciano Spalletti, who put his faith in me from the start.

"I also owe so much to Roma, who allowed me to play in the Champions League and therefore gave me international visibility."

The former Sampdoria defender only joined the Giallorossi in the summer, but has become a firm fixture in the squad that has reached the Champions League quarter-finals.

However, the call was not entirely a surprise, as there had long been reports that Roberto Donadoni would bring in Tonetto. "All week there was talk of my possible Azzurri call. Fortunately it happened, otherwise my friends and teammates would have made fun of me for years!"

No comments: