Monday, March 19, 2007

Quagliarella enjoys Azzurri call

Sampdoria hitman Fabio Quagliarella could not hide his satisfaction after his maiden call-up for Roberto Donadoni’s Italy squad.

The Azzurri will host the Euro 2008 qualifier with Scotland at Bari on March 28 and the 23-year-old was one of the new faces on the list, along with Roma full-back Max Tonetto.

"I hope this is only the beginning, I don’t want to consider the call-up a finishing point," Quagliarella told Radio Radio.

"I am very relaxed, I am aware of what is happening. I won’t let this go to my head, I still have a long road ahead of me," added the Blucerchiato, who scored his 11th goal this season against Palermo on Saturday.

"This is a dream come true. Six or seven months ago I was cheering for the Nazionale in Germany and now I am here, it’s an enormous satisfaction for me.

"This is one of those things you dream of when you are a kid, to play in Serie A and appear at least once with the Azzurri, I hope this is just the beginning."

Sampdoria are currently in eighth position with 35 points and Quagliarella believes that the Genoa-based club can do well, although he does not want to guarantee that he will remain in Liguria next season.

"We can fight for a UEFA Cup spot, although it is logical that I would like to win something important. I would like to stay here for some time, but I have no news yet," explained the player, who is co-owned by Udinese.

"I asked my agent to not tell me anything. I want to focus on playing, all the rest can be postponed to June. My preferred destination? I have always been a Napoli fan," revealed the Blucerchiato.

No comments: