Thursday, September 14, 2006

Lippi rules out role with Azzurri

The Azzurri's World Cup-winning coach Marcello Lippi has ruled out returning in a supervisory role and backed his replacement Roberto Donadoni. The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) head Guido Rossi floated the idea after the poor start to the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

Lippi said: "I'll never be a supervisor because that is not my trade. Roberto is a great lad and I've no doubt they'll get back to great form and he will get the best out of them."


The world champions drew at home with Lithuania and were beaten by France in their opening two Group B games.

Rossi suggested Lippi take on a role at the head of the federation's technical department.

Former Juventus coach Lippi said he intends to return to club coaching after taking a rest. Lippi said: "At the moment I'm still enjoying the aftertaste of the World Cup which I think will be a good while yet. I've had some calls from non-Italian clubs but I didn't meet with any club directors."

No comments: