Monday, September 11, 2006

FIFA plea to Materazzi and Zidane

FIFA President Sepp Blatter wants Marco Materazzi and Zinedine Zidane to meet to reconcile their differences after the World Cup final bust-up.

France's Zidane headbutted Materazzi in the chest near the end of extra-time, with Italy going on to win the trophy on penalties. "We are working on getting together Materazzi and Zidane to bring an end to this story," said Blatter. "It is a pity, I have to say, when a World Cup final ends with a red card."

Zidane, playing his last game before retiring from football, was sent off for the attack and later claimed he was provoked after Materazzi had insulted his mother. But the Inter defender revealed that Zidane's sister was the subject: "I was tugging his shirt, he said to me 'if you want my shirt so much I'll give it to you afterwards,' and I answered that I'd prefer his sister."

Materazzi was later handed a two-match ban by world governing body FIFA, while Zidane was banned for three games and fined £3,260.

No comments: