Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Chiellini adds to Azzurri concerns

Italy's defensive problems are mounting ahead of Saturday's Euro 2008 qualifier against Georgia after Juventus left-back Giorgio Chiellini missed training due to a thigh-muscle injury.

With Gianluca Zambrotta injured and captain Fabio Cannavaro suspended, the 23-year-old Chiellini had been lined up for a starting role in Genoa. His participation is now in doubt, although Azzurri doctor Andrea Ferretti said he will monitor the player's condition on a "day-by-day" basis.


Italy are second in Group B, a point behind Scotland and one above France, going into the weekend's must-win fixture.

Chiellini's former Under-21 team-mate Riccardo Montolivo is the only new face in the squad. The Fiorentina midfielder said of his inclusion: "It's every child's dream to play for the national team. I didn't expect to be called up, so my happiness is doubled. I've matured a lot in the last two years, and I have to thank my coach Cesare Prandelli and my team-mate Fabio Liverani who've helped me so much. I want to dedicate this first call-up to my family."

While the 22-year-old is celebrating the start of his international career, Alessandro Del Piero's could be coming to an end after the Juventus player was left out of the squad. "It is difficult to leave anyone at home, not just Del Piero," said coach Roberto Donadoni.


"At 33 years old it is harder than at 27 to manage certain things but my choices are not personal. I take into account the balance of a group of 20 players."

Looking ahead to the Georgia game, he added: "It will be a difficult match, the thing I'm most scared of is they have nothing to lose."

Source: UEFA

No comments: