Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Reaction: Lithuania 0-2 Italy

Roberto Donadoni hailed Fabio Quagliarella and the Azzurri’s team spirit with a dig at the absent Francesco Totti.

The lead-up to the Euro 2008 qualifier in Lithuania, which ended 2-0 with Quagliarella’s brace, had been dominated by media debate over Totti’s sabbatical.

"At least there will be a little less discussion about those who are absent, knowing we have excellent players at our disposal," smiled the coach. "All you need is a little patience and balance in all things. I think this squad proved once again what it means to be a real squad and the rest is all talk."

This was their fifth consecutive victory and a much stronger performance than Saturday’s 2-1 win in the Faroe Islands.


Above all it was a comfortable result after Donadoni’s reign had begun with a disappointing 1-1 draw against Lithuania in Naples. "Last time we were a team out of shape, even if we still did enough to deserve the victory. Now we see players at the end of the season, having achieved great things with their clubs."

Quagliarella’s explosion this season has given Donadoni more options upfront, even if Totti does not decide to return for the ‘important games’ against France and Ukraine in September.

"Italy has always provided great talents and will not cease to do that. We try to raise our young players in the best way possible and then take it from there."

Fabio Quagliarella admits he could not have asked for a better end to the season than bagging his first Italy brace. Although this was his third cap, the Sampdoria hitman had previously only played a handful of minutes at international level, but snatched both sensational goals in a 2-0 win in Lithuania on his first start.

"I tried to repay the faith that the coach and my teammates put in me. I tried to give my best and it went well. With two good goals I could not have asked for a better way to end the season," said Quagliarella.

Famous for some stunning strikes in Serie A, he also impressed in Kaunas with two splendid finishes. "I enjoyed the second goal more, as it was not easy to let it dip precisely where I wanted it to."

It was a vast improvement upon the 2-1 victory in the Faroe Islands on Saturday in the other Euro 2008 qualifier. "I think that today we proved that the performance against the Faroe Islands was not easy as our opponents clammed up, but this was much closer to the real Italy.

"The coach let us all relax, as we cannot always play to the best of our abilities, especially at the end of the season when the energy is flagging."

Francesco Totti’s return in September could push Quagliarella back out of the Azzurri starting XI, but he is not concerned. "If Totti returns then that can only be a good thing for the Nazionale. I just slowly try to work my way into some space here and earn the faith of the tactician."

He has also impressed with his versatility, as Quagliarella can play in wide midfield, as a second striker or even a centre-forward. "I have always played as a support striker, so that means cutting in and shooting. Walter Novellino tried me out in a wider role and I still scored a lot of goals from there.

"Unfortunately, towards the end of the campaign we were missing a lot of players so I had to be the centre-forward with my back to goal and that made it tricky for me. I try to adapt and do my best in any role where I am placed.

"Roberto Donadoni asked me to start wide and cut in to the centre for a shot or assist, but it is within my characteristics as well."

Already hot property on the transfer market after 13 Serie A goals, Quagliarella’s price-tag has just sky-rocketed after this performance. "I am on holiday from tomorrow and cannot wait to rest. There is time for the transfer market. I am on a co-ownership deal between Sampdoria and Udinese so that may be renewed. The important thing now is for me to play consistently."

[Match Report]

No comments: